Welcome to my sketch blog!

I am a cartoonist, illustrator, designer, and painter. I'd like to say a professional one, but I'm still working on that. Welcome to Step One of that process: my own personal sketch blog! Its purpose: to keep me drawing, and hopefully, to provide art for others to enjoy. Please feel free to leave comments- I appreciate any critiquing of my work. Just try not to completely tear me a new one. Also, I do commissioned projects! If interested, contact me at tonyaros1@gmail.com. As you can see I draw comic characters a lot, but I also paint and draw just about anything so hit me with your ideas!

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Super Redesign: Superman

Last in my Justice League redesigns is Big Blue himself, Superman:

Superman's look is classic, iconic, and I really don't think it needs any redesigning period.  But, just for the fun of it, and because no Justice League would be complete without Superman, I took a crack at it.  


For starters, Superman needs the cape, S-shield, and boots, so I didn't mess with those much.  The cape I made of average length and gave a slightly pointed shape to so that it doesn't get in his way as much while he's moving around.  The S-Shield is basically the same traditional design, but I've opted to using gray instead of yellow to show his "Man of Steel" aspect.  I think it adds a certain toughness and sturdiness to his look.  I've also used the s-shield shape as a recurring theme throughout the costume: at the top of his boots, his belt buckle, and the larger blue shape around the s-shield itself.  The two-tones of blue help break up the large area of blue that is left by the lack of the shorts (which as a side note, I see no problem with the shorts, and don't understand why so many people seem to hate them.  I simply tried this design without them to see how I felt about it).  Lastly, the gray bands around his wrists are meant to evoke the imagery of a weight-lifter, which reinforces the concept of strength.  

Do I think this is what Superman should wear in his series?  No.  Was I happy with how it turned out, and think it's an interesting redesign?  I think so.    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment